Warhammer Fantasy: Dwarf Army (14+ years in the making!)

Discuss D&D, tabletop strategy, and miniature painting here.
Lupich
Administrator
Administrator
Has fist bumped: 7 times

Warhammer Fantasy: Dwarf Army (14+ years in the making!)

Post by Lupich »

When I was a young lad of 13-14 years of age, after a demo match of "Battle for Skull Pass" at a Games Workshop store I was sold.

I saved enough money to grab my first Warhammer box set and a few paints, along with some overpriced Citadel brushes to destroy from the local game shop in town and I got to work. With basically no experience or friends that shared the hobby, everything was learning from experience and poring over whatever pictures I could find online.

This predated even YouTube, easily finding good guides online for how to paint or even play was a task. I built a completely ineffective and unnecessary paint booth and went on my way!
booth2.jpg
booth2.jpg (101.91 KiB) Viewed 31 times
After a few hour long binge sessions, and a very generous 4 megapixel camera of the time I painted my first ever full squad.
first_paint.jpg
first_paint.jpg (1.76 MiB) Viewed 31 times
A few days later, I completed some more!
hafarmy.jpg
hafarmy.jpg (337.04 KiB) Viewed 31 times
And then I bought another, Battle for Skull Pass box set to basically double my army size when I wasn't even done painting my first set. Why I did this? I could never tell you why.

Tragedy struck, I got burned out. The models, paint, and books all got shelved for years and no progress was made. Probably 6 or 7 years later (guessing) I tried to get back into the hobby with mixed results. Picking up where I left off, I continued painting my Dwarf army as best as I could.

I learned quickly that black primer with gold trim on the base was a stupid idea, add how tedious this was to the fact that Citadel had just re-named and re-branded their entire paint line-up I was very frustrated. I think I spent like $80 refreshing my paints and used only a handful of them once and then back to storage.

Fast forward another 7 years, for no particular reason I started to get back into painting. I found it therapeutic and with decent YouTube channels like Miniac and Tabletop minions, I had watched enough interesting techniques I told myself I had to try some of them out and BAM! I re-caught the bug.

I actually went through the trouble of re-painting every single Dwarf in my army, top to bottom. I wasn't happy with the quality that 16 year old me tolerated.
ham1.jpg
ham1.jpg (1.98 MiB) Viewed 31 times
ham2.jpg
ham2.jpg (1.87 MiB) Viewed 31 times
But alas, typical of the Warhammer universe there are no happy endings. You thought this was a happy thread? Well guess what, I still have a few more units of this to complete. :cry:

Maybe this thread will motivate me to wrap up the Dwarves so I can start on the other half of the box set. Never give up, never surrender.
dougler
Has fist bumped: 3 times

Re: Warhammer Fantasy: Dwarf Army (14+ years in the making!)

Post by dougler »

Dang man, Legit paintjobs breh!! Will have to sit down with you and paint a few. Teach me a few things haha.

So satisfying finishing a project can be. The endorphins are worth alone.