Single Player Games

The forum that truly brings all of us together. Bideo game.
Lupich
Administrator
Administrator
Has fist bumped: 12 times

Single Player Games

Post by Lupich »

This is a thread to suggest and discuss single player games or campaigns you've recently enjoyed. About 2 months ago I decided to get to work on some of my Steam library backlog and decided to re-visit date AAA titles that I hadn't played, or played very long ago and see how they were with ultra graphics and 4K resolution.

A bunch of them really held up, and I'm glad to have played them. To start this post off I'll just write a blurb about the single player games I completed and add games as I go. Maybe this could be a "book club" style of thread if people are interested in playing along or just look for recommendations.

In no particular order:
Black Mesa

With a finally completed "1.0" version of the game I decided to sit down and give this one a play through and I was impressed. Impressed enough to say it really captures the feel of the original Half-Life game so well that there is no real reason to go back and play the original (or its awful "source" version) if you already own this one.

The visuals were really amazing with all the settings turned up, but the game still truly felt like one of the series. I love games that have a complementary set of achievements to go along with them - Nothing too tedious or difficult, but not a whole lot that gives itself up without a tiny bit of effort. I like achievements in single player games to help me track my progress in them or help me know which games I've finished before.

The Xen maps in this game were actually very fun and well made, probably better than the originals.
Deadlight

Nowadays this game probably gets zero recognition, and that is probably okay. For some reason I remember the marketing on this one as "Bringing back action sidescrollers with parkour and stuff." as the main selling point. Microsoft really liked this project of theirs at the time. This game went on sale years ago and I grabbed it for a few bucks and it sat in my library collecting e-dust until recently.

It's quite entertaining for what it is, it delivers what it promises and it's about 6-7 hours long for a single play through. I enjoyed it. I also started to take some screenshots around this time for fun.
Half-Life 2: Episode One

If you know about this website, you know about this game. I'm glad to report it's just as fun as you remember it and it holds up amazingly well in gameplay as well as graphics. Like all timeless game engines, you can turn this one up to 4K with no issues or extra patching and reap all the benefits.

Play through it again for nostalgia's sake and you won't regret it! Again, some screenshots.
Half-Life 2: Episode Two

Basically the exact same as the mini-review above, but with a different set of screenshots.
Half-Life 2: Episode Three

Lol, you fools.
Portal

Haven't played this in so long and I figured since I played through the other Valve series, I'd throw this one into the mix as well. Holds up very well, just as you remember it. Screens.
Art of Rally

This game is an absolute delight.

It's a tough game to get the hang of, but once you have it and you pair it with it's absolutely amazing soundtrack you can play for hours without noticing how much time has passed. The visuals, game engine, and overall aesthetic of the game is minimalist.

If you're into actual rally cars and racing there are many not-so-subtle nods to the sport and Easter eggs to unlock.

I'm not a controller guy, but this game does play better with a controller due to variable throttle control.
That's it for now! I'm just about done another game that I'll post up here once I actually finish it but I encourage some of you gamer nerds to share what you've been playing lately!
Upbeatdown
Has fist bumped: 1 time

Re: Single Player Games

Post by Upbeatdown »

Furi

I've never really played a game quite like it. It's a singleplayer boss-rush with shoot-em-up/ bullet hell elements. You play was a mysterious figure known as "The Stranger". You've been locked up in a futuristic and elaborately designed prison whose sole purpose is to keep your character locked inside. The only way to escape imprisonment to kill each of the twelve jailers who reside in different layers of the prison to stop The Stranger from escaping.

The game's difficulty is designed to be unforgiving, demanding that you slowly master the games mechanics in the form of striking, dodging, parrying, and shooting in tandem with memorizing boss patterns and abilities. Overcoming the difficult challenges the game presents is very rewarding and cathartic, and really elevates the struggle The Stranger must go through with the odds so greatly stacked against him. Each of the jailers have distinct designs, personalities, abilities, and fight dynamics. As you progress through the layers of prison the player is fed little hints and details of the world and the event surrounding The Stranger's mysterious imprisonment.

This game is a true testament to the hidden power of the Unity engine. The world and characters are so beautifully designed. Fights are over the top displays of fluid and satisfying animations mingling with tense and tight weaving between waves of incoming bullets and beams. Moments between fights are spent taking in interesting environments showcases artfully by an incredibly well designed in-game camera.

It's currently on sale on Steam as of me creating this post for a very fair price. Please go check it out.
Lupich
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lupich »

Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun

Glad to announce I have finally finished my first play through of this (le) gem, clocking in around 34 hours.

This game was quite a project actually. It's been a long time since a game has challenged me mentally in this way, there is a ton to keep track of at any given time. It's clear that the developers put a lot of time into each and every mission, the placement of every guard, stone, and patrol. There are dozens if not hundreds of ways to clear each level. Many you'd never think of until you stumble across accidentally and say "Oh crap, I could do that?!"

The game engine is a little dated but well suited for this style of game. The voice acting is hilariously bad with English voiceover, I would suggest playing it in original Japanese with subtitles enabled - Not a weaboo thing, the English voiceover is very cringy at times.

The storyline of the game actually kept me hooked throughout, even though I'd walk away from my computer in frustration at times I'd soon enough be back at it with a fresh perspective which counts for a lot in this game.

You can get this game for around $5-10 on sales. Steam store page:
Lupich
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lupich »

Metro 2033 Redux

I have fond memories of the original and since the remastered trilogy was recently on sale I figured I'd pick it up to complete the set and play through.

The game is extremely atmospheric, the visuals, the sound, everything works together well to give you a sense of dread and hopelessness while you're working your way through the metro. There are a few brief moments of respite (along with some HILARIOUS voice acting for the Russian "children" in the game). The game has a very good mix of horror and regular FPS, it made me jump in my seat a few times but never enough that I expected what was coming.

Some may find the gas mask mechanic tedious but I find it immersive. When your mask cracks and you're on the surface you're scrambling in the middle of intense gunfire to find a replacement. Makes for some very intense moments. The gun play was a little weird at first - I find that personally I need a few hours in a game engine to adjust but I never felt "Good" at fighting in this game. I'm not sure if that was done on purpose to always leave you feeling vulnerable.

The graphics are great, playing at 4K it still holds up to the best of them.

Ironically the story in the game is kind of lacking. You're a kid who needs to send a message for help because your section of the Metro is under attack. Nobody wants to help, you get tied up in some greater scheme and only you can save the world, pretty typical stuff.

Can't wait to play the next two in the series.
Mirror's Edge: Catalyst

The sequel to the first. I remember the first Mirror's Edge being absolutely stunning for its time, fresh game play mechanics with a focus on movement instead of combat. This game remains the same in that regards, one of the first things I noticed is that I could not pick up any weapons in the game which incentivizes you to get better at "Runner" combat or just keep on hustling.

The graphics stay true to the original, very clean and sterile environments and a good use of bright colours to keep you going in the right direction. Enough controls and movement combos to keep things spicy but not enough to overwhelm you if you take a break from the game for a couple of days. Everything you do in the game feels extremely satisfying when you pull it off.

The missions and story move along at a good pace, I actually found myself completing the side missions as well as they did keep me entertained.

I'm very weary of almost any open world game these days as they usually cram them full of useless side missions and time sinks, I was afraid that Catalyst would be no different but was glad to find that wasn't the case. Yes it's open world and there is a lot of crap to do on the side - But it is extremely easy to stay focused and progress through the story. By unlocking grid nodes (for fast travel, which basically cuts out the open world part of the game if you so wish) and completing the story side missions you get enough experience to unlock all of Faith Connor's upgrades without it feeling grindy.

I completed the game in about 15 hours. My conclusion? EA doesn't deserve Mirror's Edge.