Thursday Night D&D - Roll20 - Curse of Strahd - Every Thursday 5PM PST
Greetings fellow dungeon crawlers.
I wanted to get a few things out of the way in order to have a better idea and mutual direction of the upcoming campaign. By no means are these hard or fast rules and I welcome input if you disagree;
XP - I would prefer to tally up your exp behind the scenes and will tell you when you've leveled up at the end of whichever game session you hit the required number. I feel as though this will keep the flow of the story going better and won't cause disruption in the middle of our roleplay.
Player Behaviour: As we're going to be online and no one can really see each other, I don't care if you drink or smoke or whatever. If it affects the gameplay in a disruptive manner (because getting sloshed makes for fun times and it's not always a bad thing) I'll bring it to your attention.
I'm pretty relaxed, but try to have a movement or action ready to go in your head, so when I call out your name, you don't have to look at your sheet going, "Uhhhhh." for 2 minutes. It just keeps the game going.
Unannounced dice rolls are a no. (eg. *roll a dice, get a nat 20, "Hey, I rolled a nat 20 for perception. No, you say, "I want to check around, I want to roll for perception, etc, and then roll)
Please curb your metagaming. If I tell someone something about their environment, it's up to them to share what they see. You weren't privy to the info.
Player Character Behaviour: There will be a couple of minors along for our campaign, so I'm going to suggest we stick with PG-13 content.
Player absences: Please try to be in the game on time. We all have our lives, some of us are parents or have other responsibilities, so if you can't make it, please let me know. If you want me to love you long time, please come up with a reason for why your character wasn't there, otherwise they might just come along for the ride with their thumb up their bum. 😛
Critical hits = max damage + another damage roll. This goes for players and enemies.
Stealth. If you want to be sneaky, my desire is to roll the d20 for you and then have you carry out whatever action you wish. I will know if you are stealthed and you will not, until something happens or you manage your stealthed action. Adds flavour, and I think it's not unreasonable, as you don't know if you're hidden, but whatever's watching for you sure does.
These questions would be regarding player relations, so it would be good for you all to sit in discord together and hash out how you want the following:
Should players be more independent or more party focused?
Want to be murderhobos? (kick the door down, kill the monster, take the loot)
Or would you prefer some story?
Would you like me to adhere to the racial prejudices present in the DnD universe? For instance, Tieflings are half demons, feared and rebuked by many. Shop owners might treat you badly, etc. "Skyrim is for the nords, you knife-eared bitch."
How much sexual content do you want? Some of the storyline has sexualized content. My intent is to leave it as written, but to ask the player characters to not make any advances towards each other either inside or outside of the game.
How important do you want alignment to be? In CoS, you are trapped in a corrupting environment and I think alignment would matter for your characters greatly.
Character Creation: I don't really think it matters what you put together, as long as you have a convincing backstory I can try to weave into the background tapestry of CoS.
Permadeath? I suggest you make around 3 characters, as my preference is to include permadeath. Curse of Strahd is meant to be tough and unforgiving.
My style of DMing might be a little rough for you, as I am still learning 100% of the rules myself. I tend towards Rules as Written DMing, but I tend to be more focused on what's good for the adventure.
1. Create an account here: https://roll20.net/
2. Download and create an account for Discord. https://discordapp.com/
3. Grab a couple character sheets and make some characters. If you need help with this step, I can help. WotC Official Adventurer's League Sheet
4. Alternatively, here's a link to a dropbox with a ton of custom made sheets tailored towards specific classes: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dls227qhq2mk48v/AACW8sPWR0eJPvO6VXyIy-Kaa?dl=0
5. Meet up on Thursday for our Session 0 where you, the party, can decide which of the characters you made you want to play with the most. Please send me a copy of your sheet, so I don't need to ask you every time what your AC is. 😉
6. Prepare a backstory and send it to me. It doesn't need to be crazy, just a paragraph or two of where you come from, who you are, what shaped you into being an adventurer, etc.
7. We play. As far as I can tell, we can have our first Session 0 as soon as this Thursday. Or if you're all communicative and get ready for this Thursday, that works too!
Please, if you need clarification, disagree and want to challenge a ruling, or just want to hang, let me know.