BinaryChaos.net
Sign in to follow this  
Zeriador

February Political Debate Topic

I was hoping for as lovely a conversation as before, started by dot_pirana.

What are your thoughts on steak?

I believe that anyone consuming rare medium rare or less cooked is to be watched for serial killing tendencies and anyone consuming steak cooked longer than medium rare should be fed slices of my Jeep tires, as obviously, they wouldn't notice the difference.

Therefore, I am a staunch advocate of the medium rare, pan fried (cast iron) in butter with a mild rubbing of salt and pepper after spending the previous few days either aging in an herby brine or marinating in an acid based marinade for increased tenderness.

Discuss.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure the forum will universally agree but don't discredit everyone that doesn't like their steak rare. My dad worked as a butcher for a long, long time and when I finally asked why he eats his steak well done he answered that hes sick of looking at blood and meat juice. I'd say that's pretty fair.

Personally I like mine fried in a cast iron with a shitload of butter, then crisped up in an over or over a smoking hot grill with a medium rare sort of finish. I am a staunch believer that putting salt on food that gets heated that high, is a fucking waste of salt. Never salt in or just before the pan, salt after.

Also, when you're done cooking the steak, let it sit for 5 minutes before you cut it up otherwise all the tasty juices will leak out and you'll complain and have a shitty sloppy plate like an amateur.

2 hours ago, Lupich said:

Also, when you're done cooking the steak, let it sit for 5 minutes wrapped in foil.

image.thumb.png.db16b7bf1c58330ee09510ecd08ee7fc.png

Here is a perfect example of the sort of content we won't tolerate on BCF.

If you don't like meat this probably won't look tasty to you.

Just found these bad boys at the local butcher's shop, grass-fed steaks that were 50% off I couldn't resist. Old? Nah bro, just aged. They did come pre-seasoned a little more than I'd normally do but still delicious.

I made some salted egg yolks earlier this week and they make a great addition or topping as they add some "UUUUUMAMI" goodness.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

• Like 2

Not discuss—DEBATE!

JK, the fact that there is a new debate topic makes me excited!

I'm going to step in with the "sous vide" method for the tenderness and juicy factor. Go for 2 hours at 130°F - 135°F and finish off with a quick sear on a cast iron pan. Lots All of the butter.

Great article comparing the difference of sous vide vs. traditional method on Anova's website.

Here's a video of different sous vide times too, that I thought was interesting.

At the end of the day though, I think we can all agree on: the steak will be eaten. Unless you don't eat meat.

P.S. A sous vide cooker is such a great tool!! Super soft salmon, fall of the bone ribs, gooey eggs.... Mmmm.

• Like 2

I haven't had a steak in ages. Currently, though, I only have a toaster oven to cook one in. Sad.