BinaryChaos.net
Sign in to follow this  
Lupes

AMD vs Intel in 2019?

I don't know much about Ryzen except for the hype when it launched. I'm curious how it holds up and if anyone here has personal experience with AMD CPU's lately?

I know that in the past a higher end Intel would basically blow away any AMD processor for gaming and multimedia but I know it's no longer the case. I'm hoping to build a new PC for myself within the next year that would be capable maybe of 1440p resolution gaming and hopefully recording as well. I know that's asking a lot but I also know it's possible. Anyone with a recent build have any feedback?

Screenshot_2019-07-03_20-50-01.thumb.png.ae0808d617637b67227fd2e23e0553cb.png

It works fine for me. I probably thrash it more than most people do
After I bought it, I kind of regretted not getting a thread-ripper, though

• Like 1

Would this be a min max build or a best bang for your buck sort of build?

Because that's pretty relevant

12 hours ago, nap said:

Screenshot_2019-07-03_20-50-01.thumb.png.ae0808d617637b67227fd2e23e0553cb.png

It works fine for me. I probably thrash it more than most people do
After I bought it, I kind of regretted not getting a thread-ripper, though

Gonna need me that .screenrc son.

1 hour ago, rosepetalbish said:

Would this be a min max build or a best bang for your buck sort of build?

Because that's pretty relevant

Somewhere in between, I don't mind spending money as long as it is well spent. For example my current PC has been just fine and is doing mostly OK for the last 8 years which is a rarity. 

Feature wise, AMD's X570 beats out any Intel chipset currently available. That being said, AMD and Intel will be playing a game of leapfrog until one or both cease to exist altogether (although this is the first time in like 15 years Intel isn't dominating). The fact of the matter is AMD is in the lead (and not just in terms of performance for the price, I'm talking outright) and before Intel fanboys come for me - that could quickly change with Intel's next release (but at the earliest like 2020).

All of that is kinda irrelevant since you're looking to balance performance and cost, so you probably won't be using the lastest gens. If I were you I'd:

1) Figure out the GPU I plan to get first  

2) Decide what framerate I want to play at

3) Define "recording" better

The last one is mostly because when it comes to the performance comparison of Ryzen vs. Intel for dual purpose gaming-workstation builds, you really have to know what specific software you're going to use and for what specific purpose because of the whole multi-thread performance vs single-thread performance nuance that comes inherent with either company. Each outrank the other in their own specialty.

Obviously one of the biggest cons of AMD CPU's is its need for a higher RAM frequency for optimal performance. One could argue the money you save buying an AMD CPU instead of an Intel really just gets diverted into paying for faster RAM. 🤷‍♀️

However, no matter what CPU you ultimately decide on, someone will be there to tell you you're wrong - so try and find some solace in that.

In conclusion, it's all very exciting and I like seeing capitalism create healthy competition between tech companies which consequentially torpedos us into the future. 

TL;DR: Intel can't get their transistors small enough and the tech world is laughing in AMD