BinaryChaos.net
Sign in to follow this  
Lupes

Server "Tech Build" Laws?

So this has been on my mind for a little while and I was hoping it didn't have to come up but with the amount of enthusiastic engineers on the server something needs to be done about massive technical builds that push the server to it's limits.

As we know Mojang and Minecraft don't have the best rep for optimization and running on Java doesn't seem to help their case - Though I have been paying to upgrade the server from mostly my own pocket I feel like I must draw a line. No matter how powerful the server hardware is, because of the nature of the game there is inevitably some way to stress the server and crash it.

I don't want to, and don't intend to, and realistically can't even ban grinder's and technical builds that people create. I love the builds and the effort put into them and I'd be a hypocrite because I've definitely used a lot of them. I'm not talking your run of the mill skeleton grinder or anything like that but more-so the builds that in a way... exploit the mechanics of the game.

These builds tend to push the server to its limit. I know of approximately 5 of these machines existing in the current world.

I'm not sure what the answer is - rogue decommissioning and sabotage?

Maybe we must make access and location and owner of all builds known/public so they can be held accountable/asked to stop using during busy server times.

My current line of thought if this continues to be an issue is to maybe enable a 30 minute AFK auto-kick.

Thoughts?

• Like 2

Interesting and complex discussion. Smaller 'innocent' ones should remain 'legal', they do not form any lag issue.

However, the larger ones should be banned due to high lag and crashes of the server. However, the person willing to support a server with financial means should be licensed to operate one. Being the only one using it ofc, consuming or selling the items. 

It is either banning them to ensure a functional server on cheaper means or have the owners contribute to maintain a functional server. 

• Like 1

Hmmm, I take issues with donations providing any sort of benefit for players on the server as I try to be as fair and impartial as possible. Despite that as I stated, no matter how much money we dump on the server for hardware (realistically speaking) there can always be something built to tax the server - Plus I wouldn't want anyone to feel entitled to ruin the experience for everyone else with lag just because they give a few dollars to the server.

It is a complex discussion but I believe it could be managed. So far we are courteous and when asked, people will stop their lag-a-thon, or maybe they are just nice to me because I'm the admin. Regardless something needs to be done, I think an AFK kick is the easy solution but I'm not a fan of it either.

• Like 1

"I am a huge fan of AFK kicking." *Said by local man while he rode a cart in a small loop indefinitely*.

• Like 1

Oh well, those builds don't fit that well in the lore/theme/setting. I won't miss them

+1 to AFK kicking

As a further reason not to, it's against the ToS to provide competitive advantages to certain players based on their donations. You can only provide "cosmetic items", whatever that means.