BinaryChaos.net
Sign in to follow this  
Lupes

A few server updates, future plans?

Hey all! Lots of activity on the server lately and it's pretty awesome. So much so that I had to upgrade the server hardware! :classic_biggrin:

We should have a lot less crashing and less lag with concurrent players. Server RAM went from 8GB to 24GB so I think we should see some differences but also be aware that 1.14 has known issues with slow chunk loading even in generated terrain.

Two other things that have been implemented to test out for now but can be changed if people don't like it...

• "Mob Griefing" has been disabled (by popular demand), mainly this means that Creeper blasts will only damage you but not blocks around you. Also Endermen can't steal your blocks.
  • I have set a world border of approximately 30 square kilometers - I don't think anyone has wandered past that yet so it shouldn't be an issue but I think this is a good idea for a small playerbase. We can always expand it in the future.

As for future plans I think something that should be discussed is the End and the Ender Dragon. Should we reset the End every so often? On a schedule, on a vote?

14 hours ago, nap said:

Lol I'm such a noob, nvm.

Also another thing to add is that as the server is fresh and we are building up the playerbase I'm pretty lax about whitelisting for the current time. Nothing bad has happened so far, no griefing or stealing and everyone appears to be getting along. Not everyone in the server has filled out a whitelist request and that is because I am also whitelisting "Friends of friends" as long as you vouch for them..... Cuz everyone wants to play with their friends.

When you say the world border is 30 km^2, do you mean the world has a side length of 5.48 km? Or that the world has a side length of 30 km?

I want to build a master map room which we can use to chart the whole world and we we can house the master copies of all world maps, but I want to know what the dimensions of the world are before I build it.

11 hours ago, nap said:

When you say the world border is 30 km^2, do you mean the world has a side length of 5.48 km? Or that the world has a side length of 30 km?

I want to build a master map room which we can use to chart the whole world and we we can house the master copies of all world maps, but I want to know what the dimensions of the world are before I build it.

Ummm, to be honest I'm not 100% sure. In fact there is a very good chance its bigger. In the server properties I set it to: max-world-size=15000

If https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Server.properties is to be trusted we need to do Mojang-math.

This sets the maximum possible size in blocks, expressed as a radius, that the world border can obtain. Setting the world border bigger causes the commands to complete successfully but the actual border will not move past this block limit. Setting the max-world-size higher than the default doesn't appear to do anything.

Examples:

• Setting max-world-size to 1000 will allow you to have a 2000x2000 world border.
  • Setting max-world-size to 4000 will give you an 8000 x 8000 world border.

Though like I said, this isn't set in stone. I can and probably will expand it as needed but I think this is a good limit for now unless it starts causing problems.

At the request of GarbagePatrol I've setup up a Patreon if you want to help keep the server running. I don't usually like asking for donations or things like that anymore because while I promise all of the money goes back into the server I don't like being accountable for it either - From experience, it's hard to please everybody.

However, if you are so inclined the link is here: https://www.patreon.com/BinaryChaos

Don't feel pressured to donate, you gain nothing and no benefit from donating other than helping keep the server online and on good hardware.