BinaryChaos.net
nap

International Standards

A thread for standardization

Maps are 3x zoom.

• Like 2

Hey Nap can you edit the list so its in bullet form or something and give it a bold header or something? Then I'll sticky it!

So 3x Zoom on Maps I think we all agree with. Maybe we should devise a system of some sort where people can claim land?

I can't edit my posts after 5 minutes

Posted (edited)

Land claiming would be cool, maybe it cost a bit of supplies that go towards helping spawn town

also would a texture pack that we all like or use be something that would fall into the standards category?

Edited by garbagepatrol

I use Chroma Hills texture pack. Other than running lava, it's quite nice.

12 hours ago, nap said:

I can't edit my posts after 5 minutes

Worst admin ever.

Posted (edited)

If we're going to set up borders, we should build structures along the perimeter of the border to lay claim to the lands therein. It should be obvious to whoever that you're laying claim to the area. I will start building watchtowers along the border of Delton

As a general rule of thumb, though, if you see a group building in a biome, you should at least let them have that biome.

Edited by nap
  • Like 1

Yeah, also just leaving a sign for them to find and get back to you about building near them

When I come home from work I will begin writing up a comprehensive statement regarding my suggestions for the standards behind kingdoms/ nations as well as some suggestions for political infrastructure and conduct. It will be a long post and intentionally made open to discussion and compromise, so it will get its own thread.

• Like 2

Just a few thoughts I'd like to put forward

- Iron, Redstone, etc. are all VERY finite. Once it's all gone that's it. Personally to semi combat over-reliance on using materials for trading I'll be instating a paper currency, Something I encourage despite it's pretty obvious drawbacks.

-  There should be a formal way to catalog nations, as well as when they've been destroyed (Otherwise known as when all the players comprising it have left) and possibly a way to catalog wars?

- Although kind of unnecessary I feel like a sort of national congress where every nation who has achieved a certain milestone (Total player count, Been recognised by a certain number of nations) can come together in a meeting to air grievances and sort of vote on general rules on nationhood

Once again these are just some things I find interesting,
Any and all comments completely destroying my points is welcome.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 3546546547 said:

- Iron, Redstone, etc. are all VERY finite. Once it's all gone that's it. Personally to semi combat over-reliance on using materials for trading I'll be instating a paper currency, Something I encourage despite it's pretty obvious drawbacks.

-  There should be a formal way to catalog nations, as well as when they've been destroyed (Otherwise known as when all the players comprising it have left) and possibly a way to catalog wars?

- Although kind of unnecessary I feel like a sort of national congress where every nation who has achieved a certain milestone (Total player count, Been recognised by a certain number of nations) can come together in a meeting to air grievances and sort of vote on general rules on nationhood

I like your mindset because this is pretty much spot-on for how we did things before. We tried currency a few ways before but I think now a reliable way would be Emeralds since you can get them via trading however in previous instances we left it up entirely to the nation so some had their own currency and exchange. Realistically regular item for item trading was most common.
We also had a "Hall of Nations" where each officially recognized nation would create their banner (back then from 3x3 wool) but we can make pretty awesome banners now! This also served as a meeting room that had a large common area, a "judges" bench, as well as a holding cell for those who aren't there because they wanted to be. The hall of nations was a neutral area where no battle was allowed, we could easily create an archive and keep books safely underneath it in a vault to document things.

Additional to this we previously had a lore-based sub-forum when people were more up for that sort of thing. The forums were used quite heavily to set things in stone, I think a few sticky threads that I will get going soon here will "Rules for Creating a Nation" as well as a more formal international standards thread once we hash some things out.

1 hour ago, 3546546547 said:

These are all things I touch on in my assertion for political conduct that I'm writing up. I'm hoping to be finished with it by tonight, but if not it will be finished tomorrow. It's turning into a bit of an essay which is why it's taking so long. Hopefully we can continue these talks and reach a consensus there. Decisions on the geopolitical spectrum that encompasses the server's nations will be no doubt contentious so I think having one specific place to come to terms with all of it will be helpful. 

In the meantime though I recommend everyone leave any suggestions they have here, which can then be brought up again when the post has been made.

What do all of you think of a central post office located in Realmstad? Everyone can claim a "mailbox" which would be a barrel with a sign on it essentially and it can be used as a central drop off and "here's that thing I owe ya" sort of deal with the benefit being it's located in spawn and thus would be a "federal offense" to tamper with mail.